Escape to Paradise: Unbelievable Santhi Hill View Resort, Munnar

Escape to Paradise: Unbelievable Santhi Hill View Resort, Munnar
Run Away to Paradise (and Maybe Don't Come Back): A Review of Santhi Hill View Resort, Munnar
Alright, fellow escape artists and weary travelers! Let's talk about Santhi Hill View Resort in Munnar. Forget the picture-perfect brochure; I'm giving you the real deal, the messy, honest, and sometimes chaotic truth. Because frankly, after my stay, I’m still sorting out how I feel. One moment I'm humming a happy tune, the next I'm contemplating quitting my job to sell chai on a mountain.
SEO Digression (Because the Algorithm Demands It!): If you're searching for Munnar resorts, hill station hotels, luxury stays Munnar, family hotels Munnar, accessible Munnar hotels, spa resorts Kerala, or romantic getaways Kerala, then LISTEN UP. Santhi might be your place. Maybe. Keep reading.
Accessibility: The Ups and Downs
Okay, let's be real. Munnar is mountains. Mountains are not generally known for their…easy accessibility. Santhi tries, bless their hearts. They claim to have Facilities for disabled guests. I saw an Elevator; that's a good start! But navigating those steep inclines with a wheelchair? I’m not personally in a wheelchair and it still felt challenging. The Car park [on-site] is available, and car park [free of charge] is a bonus. Be prepared for some…pacing. Remember, this is the mountains!
The Food Scene: From "Wow" to "Meh" (And Back Again!)
Let's dive headfirst into the food situation, because, let's face it, that's the real reason we travel.
- Restaurants: There are restaurants. Plural! Not always open at the exact moment you want them to be, but…there.
- Buffet in restaurant: Breakfast…is a thing. The Asian breakfast was delicious, if a little shy on the spice. The Western breakfast was, well, it was there. Basic, but does the job.
- A la carte in restaurant: Lunch and dinner are where things get interesting. I devoured the Salad in restaurant, it tasted incredibly fresh, and even snuck in a tasty bowl of Soup in restaurant which was a total treat.
- Vegetarian restaurant: Great options for vegetarians.
- Room service [24-hour]: YES! This is a lifesaver, especially after a long day of…mountain-ing. I may or may not have ordered late-night fries (a definite highlight).
- Coffee/tea in restaurant & Coffee shop: Essential. Especially when you're staring at those views.
- Poolside bar: A very welcome distraction. Good vibes and good drinks are top-tier.
- Happy hour: Always a plus.
- Snack bar: Convenient, and perfect for grabbing a quick bite.
- Bottle of water: They keep the mini fridge well-stocked, and the complimentary tea in the room is a nice touch.
My Glorious, Glorious Massage (And the Spa in General!)
Okay, buckle up, because this is where Santhi really shines. I am a massage snob. I need deep tissue, I need pressure, I need to feel like all my worries are being kneaded out of existence. And damn, Santhi delivered. The Massage was otherworldly! Seriously, I think I floated out of the room. They have a beautiful Spa area with Sauna, Spa/sauna, Steamroom and Foot bath. I didn't get to try the Body scrub or Body wrap, but after that massage, I've already made a mental note for my next visit. Pure bliss. Pure. Bloody. Bliss.
Things to Do (Besides Staring at the View - Though That's a Valid Activity!)
Look, the primary activity at Santhi is viewing. Those hill views are insane. But for the restless souls, there's stuff.
- Fitness center: There is a Fitness center for those who are into that sort of thing. I mostly admired it from afar while enjoying a chai.
- Swimming pool [outdoor]: The pictures don't lie. The Pool with view!. It's gorgeous. I spent a whole afternoon floating, contemplating life, and occasionally bothering everyone with my terrible backstroke.
Cleanliness and Safety: Peace of Mind in a Post-Pandemic World
Okay, let's get to the practicalities. Santhi is doing it right. I was impressed by the amount of safety measures.
- Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, First aid kit, Hand sanitizer: Check, check, and check.
- Rooms sanitized between stays, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Room sanitization opt-out available: Yep, they've got this.
- Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Staff trained in safety protocol: Makes you feel better about digging into that buffet, I'll tell you that.
The Room: My Personal Sanctuary (More or Less)
Okay, let's talk about the actual living space.
- Air conditioning: Essential, especially after a hike.
- Free Wi-Fi in all rooms!: Internet [LAN]: Internet services: Wi-Fi in public areas, Internet : Yup. The Wi-Fi [free] in my room worked, even when the rain was trying to knock it out.
- Bathroom: Clean. Efficient. With hot water.
- Non-smoking is a bonus.
- Wake-up service: Worked perfectly.
- Mirror: Yup.
- Seating area, Sofa: Good for relaxing.
- Private bathroom, Shower, Slippers, Toiletries, Towels: All present and accounted for.
- Additional toilet, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Daily housekeeping, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens. All great.
Services and Conveniences: The Little Things That Matter
- 24-hour front desk, Concierge - helpful when needed.
- Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, Taxi service, Valet parking, Airport transfer, Bicycle parking: Great options for getting around.
- Business facilities: If you somehow need to take a Break out here, there's a business center, Meetings/banquet facilities, Meeting stationery which is nice.
- Facilities for disabled guests: A real effort to accommodate, as mentioned earlier.
- Daily housekeeping: Essential.
- Food delivery: handy if you don't want to move from your spot on the sofa.
- Dry cleaning, Laundry service, Ironing service: Useful, especially on a longer stay.
- Cashless payment service
For the Kids (And the Kid in You)
- Family/child friendly: Yup!
- Babysitting service, Kids meal, Kids facilities: Check.
- Couple's room, Hotel chain, Proposal spot, Room decorations: Great romantic options.
Getting Around (Because You Can't Just Float in the Pool Forever)
Getting to Munnar is already an adventure, so having good options is helpful.
- Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station, Taxi service, Valet parking, Airport transfer, Bicycle parking: Multiple options to get around.
The Imperfections (Because Life Isn't Perfect)
Look, no place is faultless. I’m not going to sugarcoat it.
- Service speed: This isn't the place to be in a rush. Things sometimes take "Indian time". Embrace it. Seriously, order a chai and chill.
- Occasional glitches : The room WiFi decided it was on a break for a few hours, and the elevator had a moment of…contemplation. But nothing major.
Is Escape to Paradise REALLY Paradise?
- The View: Unbelievable. Truly. Makes you feel like you're floating on top of the world. Easily worth the trip alone.
- The Spa: Heavenly. Go. Now. *

Santhi Hill View Resort: My Munnar Mishap (and Maybe, Miracle?) - A Messy Itinerary from Hell (or Heaven, Who Knows?)
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your sanitized travel blog post. This is real life. This is me, attempting to navigate the swirling mists of Munnar and the equally mysterious hospitality of the Santhi Hill View Resort. Consider this your… well, your warning before you book. (But also, maybe your inspiration?)
Day 1: Arrival and Altitude Adjustment (or, "Why Did I Book a Hillside Bungalow?")
- 9:00 AM: Wake up in a groggy haze, probably from too much airport coffee. The flight to Kochi wasn't terrible, but the transfer to Munnar? Oh, that was a bumpy ride. Seriously, my stomach currently resides somewhere around my knees. We hired a car – the driver was an enthusiastic chap named Rajesh who seemed intent on proving his skills on those winding mountain roads. He succeeded. I prayed. A lot.
- 1:00 PM: ARRIVAL AT SANTHI HILL VIEW! (Cue the trumpets, maybe? Or a small, slightly embarrassed fanfare). The photos online promised "breathtaking views." And, okay, they weren't lying. The view is jaw-dropping. Lush, green tea plantations cascading down hillsides… it’s like looking at a postcard. But let's just say the "quaint" bungalow we booked is… well, it's up the hill. Like, way up. And the road is… let's just call it "rustic." My suitcase already feels like it’s staged a coup against my shoulder.
- 1:30 PM: Check-in. The staff is… friendly enough, but I feel like I'm interrupting naptime in my overly perky mood. The room? Small. Cozy? Maybe. Cramped? Absolutely. But the balcony… the balcony. That view. Okay, I’m already starting to forgive the tiny room. (Pro tip: request a room closer down the hill. Your calves will thank you.)
- 2:00 PM: Lunch. The restaurant is… Well, it exists. The food? Slightly bland. My paneer butter masala could use a bit more… oomph! But the chai? Glorious. Seriously, this chai is liquid sunshine. I'm already planning my next one.
- 3:00 PM: Attempt to "relax." Failed. Mosquitoes. They’re attacking. I've deployed the mosquito repellent like a seasoned general deploying his troops. The battle continues.
- 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM: EXPLORATION FAIL. Tried to hike down to the tea plantation. Got lost. Saw a cow. Took a selfie with the cow. (It judged me). Ended up back at the bungalow, slightly defeated and covered in mud.
- 7:00 PM: Dinner. Trying the chicken chettinad. Hoping for a taste explosion. Fingers crossed.
- Wrap-up: The chicken chettinad was… better. Not spectacular, but edible. The mosquitoes? Still winning. The view? Still breathtaking. My mood? Cautiously optimistic. Maybe this Munnar madness will actually grow on me.
Day 2: Tea, Trekking, and the Tre-Mendous View!
- 8:00 AM: The sun rises, painting the hills in hues of gold and green. Okay, okay, now I understand the hype. Morning chai on the balcony. Pure bliss. This is the life. For about an hour, until the ants find me.
- 9:00 AM: Tea Plantation Tour! (Finally, some actual planning!) We drove down, avoiding the "rustic" road this time. Learned about tea cultivation – the plucking, the rolling, the drying… fascinating! And, yes, tasted a lot of tea. My favorite? The "Tips" – apparently, the youngest leaves. Delicate, floral, almost… magical. Seriously, I'm considering changing my life and becoming a tea sommelier.
- 12:00 PM: Trekking! We signed up for a guided trek through a tea plantation. It was HARD. I'm not a hiker. I'm a "walk around the block for a coffee" type of person. But the views… they were worth the pain. At one point, I literally wanted to sit down and cry. But the guide, a weathered old man with eyes that held a thousand stories, just chuckled and pointed to a particularly stunning vista. He clearly thought I was a pampered city slicker. He wasn't wrong.
- 1:30 PM: Lunch at a local "dhaba" (roadside restaurant). The food was phenomenal. Spicy, flavorful, authentic. And cheap! I gorged myself on paratha, dal, and a mysterious, delicious vegetable curry. This kind of food is why I travel. This is the "real" India.
- 3:00 PM: Photo Op! Stopped at a viewpoint overlooking the Mattupetty Dam lake. The water was a stunning shade of blue. Took a gazillion photos (as you do). Almost fell into the lake chasing a particularly Instagrammable angle. (Note to Self: buy better shoes.)
- 4:00 PM: Attempt to relax again. This time, successful. Just sat on the balcony, sipping chai, and soaking it all in. The air is pure, the silence is almost deafening (in a good way), and the view… well, you know.
- 6:00 PM: Dinner. Trying the local "Kerala Sadya" (a traditional vegetarian meal served on a banana leaf). SO. MUCH. FOOD. Rice, curries, vegetables, chutneys, payasam (a sweet dessert)… I felt like I was at a wedding. I swear, they could feed an entire army with this. I feel like I need to be rolled out of the restaurant.
- Wrap-up: Today was incredible. Exhausting, yes, but incredibly satisfying. The trek was brutal, but the beauty of the place… it got to me. I'm starting to fall in love with Munnar. The place is magical, and I'm so happy I'm experiencing it.
Day 3: Echo Point, Eravikulam, and a Final Farewell (Maybe?)
- 8:00 AM: Another perfect morning, another perfect chai. Is this becoming a habit? I think it is. Embracing it. Also, the mosquitoes seem to have taken a vacation. Score!
- 9:00 AM: Echo Point! Went there. Yelled. Heard my echo. It was… an echo. Not life-altering, but fun for about five minutes. Lots of tourists, lots of noise.
- 10:00 AM: Eravikulam National Park! The home of the endangered Nilgiri Tahr! We were lucky enough to see them! These goats-on-a-mountain thing were so pretty! The lines were long, the crowds were thick, and the sun was beating down. But, the moment I spotted a Tahr, grazing peacefully on the hillside, I forgot all about the line. It was a privilege to see them in their natural habitat. Seriously, a truly unforgettable experience.
- 12:00 PM: Lunch at, again, "somewhere" – honestly, I can't remember! But the food was delicious. The details are a bit blurry.
- 1:00 PM: Shopping for spices and tea! Munnar is a foodie's heaven! Bought enough spices to open my own Indian restaurant. Also, bought a ridiculous amount of tea. My suitcase is groaning with the weight.
- 3:00 PM: Back to the bungalow. Final chance to soak in the view. Maybe take a nap.
- 4:00 PM - 6:00 PM: This is where everything went sideways.
- The Incident: So, remember how I mentioned the "rustic" roads? Yeah. Well, the rain decided to unleash hell. The road down from the bungalow became a raging river. We were stranded. Actually, a few other guests were stranded as well, with a family with two young kids, too!
- The Drama: There was a lot of screaming. (Me.) A lot of panicked phone calls. (Rajesh, our driver). The hotel staff, to their credit, were trying, but the situation was beyond their control. The family was worried. I was worried for all of us.
- The Resolution (Kind Of): Eventually, after

So, this "Escape to Paradise" place... IS it REALLY Paradise? Or is it more like "Escape *FROM* reality for a few days, then get back to the grind"?
Okay, let's be real. Paradise? No. More like... a REALLY good escape. It's not going to sprout wings and fly you off to Narnia, but it *does* offer a serious break from the soul-crushing email inbox and the sound of your neighbor's lawnmower.
The "Unbelievable Santhi Hill View"? Yeah, the view IS... well, it's good. Like, REALLY good. One morning I was trying to capture it on my camera and there was this tiny, almost invisible rain, and for a moment everything looked like a painting and I thought, "Wow, this is worth all this paperwork". Then I slipped on the wet patio and nearly broke my tailbone. So, perfect? Nah. Memorable? ABSOLUTELY.
Let's talk about the rooms. Are they clean? Do you feel like you're sleeping in a damp cave?
Cleanish. Look, I'm not a germaphobe, but I'm also not a fan of sharing my toothbrush with the local wildlife. The rooms are...passable. They’re generally clean, mostly because these resorts understands the power of customer satisfaction . But you might find the odd rogue ant, or a slightly questionable stain on the curtains (which, let’s be honest, probably tells a story or two).
The damp cave situation? Less cave, more... "slightly humid". Munnar's climate is a bit like a clingy ex-boyfriend – hard to shake. The bed sheets felt crisp when I first arrived, but slowly morphed into a kind of... well, you know... "slightly warm, suggesting a previous occupant". If you're a stickler for hotel standards, bring some wipes. I personally just rolled with the adventure.
The food, the FOOD! Is it a culinary masterpiece, or a microwaveable massacre?
Okay, food time. This is where things get WILDLY inconsistent. Some meals? Divine. Others? Let's just say I developed a profound appreciation for plain rice. The breakfast buffet was a mixed bag. You have your South Indian staples (idlis, dosas, the works), which were usually pretty darn good. But the "continental" options? Oh, the continental options. I swear the scrambled eggs were made from recycled plastic.
One night, I ordered a vegetable curry. It looked amazing, smelled even better... and then I bit into a chili so fiery that my eyeballs started sweating. My friend thought the whole thing was hilarious. Me? I spent the next hour desperately trying to extinguish the inferno in my mouth with yogurt and ice water. It was an experience, alright. A very, VERY spicy experience.
What's the vibe like at the resort? Chill? Over-the-top? Did you get mauled by a rogue tourist?
The vibe is... a bit scattered, actually. I'd say "chill," but there's always that one family with a screaming toddler, or the overly-enthusiastic couple obsessed with taking selfies in every possible location. Honestly, I am THAT PERSON, because I take photos too. But at least I don't go around being too loud.
You also have the occasional gaggle of college kids, who are probably going to get drunk and start singing at 3 a.m. I remember the first time I went there, I was too shy to even order coffee, and ended up staring at the same tree for a solid hour. The views were really pretty from the tree, though. But maybe it's just me.
Is the staff helpful? Or are they secretly plotting your downfall?
The staff? Generally, lovely. But efficiency? Eh, it's a work in progress. They're friendly, polite, and try their best, but sometimes the language barrier can be... challenging. It took me a solid fifteen minutes to explain to a waiter that I wanted a "chai without milk." (Turns out, "chai" already means "with milk" in their language.) I ended up with something that vaguely resembled tea-flavored water.
But honestly? Their enthusiasm and smile more than made up for the occasional communication breakdown. They're genuinely trying to make your stay pleasant. And you know what? At least they're not secretly judging you for your questionable fashion choices like some hotel staff I've encountered. (Looking at you, fancy city hotels.)
Activities! Hiking? Tea plantations? What's the story?
Okay, the activities are a MAJOR selling point. Munnar itself is STUNNING. Hiking trails abound. Tea plantations stretch as far as the eye can see – a sea of green that’ll make you want to Instagram everything. I’m talking about the views! Those views are insane. And if you’re into that, you can go for a tea tasting and even visit a tea factory.
The resort itself offers some activities, too. I remember, on my first trip, I was so excited about going to the nearby waterfalls, and when I got there, I found out the water pressure was low. But I didn't care at all! I just spent an hour standing there with my eyes shut! It felt like I was meditating, and also like I was going to catch pneumonia. Definitely an oddly memorable experience.
Any major downsides we should be aware of? Like, serial killer sightings? (Just kidding... mostly.)
Okay, let's keep it real. Serial killers? Untouched. But, there are downsides - of course, like every place.
First off? The journey. Getting there can be...an adventure. The roads are winding, and depending on the season, can be prone to landslides. And if you're not used to winding roads? Pack some motion sickness medication. Trust me on that one. Also, the Wi-Fi at the resort? Spotty. You'll be lucky to load a picture, much less video call with your friends. And finally, there are a lot of (harmless) insects, so you would be wise to bring insect repellant. But hey, you are in the nature, and you can't have it all, right? .
Would you go back? Be honest!
Damn straight, I would! Despite the occasional inconvenience, the iffy food, and the slightly-less-than-perfect rooms, there's a certain magic to "Escape to Paradise." The views, the air, the feeling of being miles away from your everydaySerene Getaways


Post a Comment for "Escape to Paradise: Unbelievable Santhi Hill View Resort, Munnar"